Saturday 2 July 2011

An Introduction to 3D

I'm going to be using my other blog to write about what we're up to, but I wanted to use this one to talk about the general processes involved in creating 3D animations. I hope that this will be insightful not only for those who want to learn how to create their own animations but also for people who are thinking about commissioning one.

I'm not going into anything in extreme technical detail to begin with as I think that would be a little overwhelming. There are so many different areas to learn about that having an overview would be a good place to start.


At a simplified level, the process of creating something in a 3D software package can be broken down into four stages - modelling, texturing, lighting and rendering. There are various other stages that I've omitted for now, I've not even included anything to do with actually animating, but those are the key things you need to do to produce a still image. Of course, there are plenty of advanced techniques involved at each of these four stages but you can produce something fairly decent knowing only the basics. Mastering each stage will lead to better overall results but it's best to get a basic understanding and build from solid foundations.    


In the next section I am going to talk about modelling.



No comments:

Post a Comment